July 8, 2013
How NOT To Cook a Turkey
Fire & Life Safety America would like to wish you and your loved ones a great and safe Thanksgiving holiday.
If you have plans to use a turkey fryer this Thanksgiving, we would like to recommend the following safety tips. Make sure your turkey is completely thawed; oil and water do not mix.
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors and a safe distance from the house and other material that can burn
- Be certain your fryer is placed on a flat surface to avoid tipping
- Never use turkey fryers on decks or inside your garage
- Never leave your fryer unattended
- Never allow children or pets near the fryer even after the bird has been removed
- Do not overfill your fryer
- When touching the pot use oven mitts and wear safety goggles if possible to avoid oil splatter
- Never extinguish a grease fire with water!
- If the fire is manageable, use an all-purpose fire extinguisher
If you would like a visual on what dangers exist please tune in to this you tube video clip: